Tuesday 9 October 2018

Doctor Who: The Woman Who Fell to Earth

Karl: 'I'm with him. We don't get aliens in Sheffield.'

First things first: whoever decided it'd be a spiffing idea to lead us virtually blind into the new series—with just a shitty teaser and two trailers entirely devoid of substance to guide us—deserves to be dragged naked through the streets of Sheffield. This episode was nothing like I was expecting—and it really wasn't my fault. They gave us nothing but generic blandness going in, so I expected generic blandness. Thankfully, it was pretty solid. Sure, it might not feel like Doctor Who yet, but it felt Doctor Who-ish.

Immediately after it aired, Twitter was ablaze with people lauding Chibnall's first offering as 'a breath of fresh air'. I disagree. As far as I'm concerned, the air was never stale. To my mind, the Capaldi era will one day be looked back upon as an era of freakishly consistent and compelling storytelling. Yes, season ten was arguably (and believe me, people do) Moffat's weakest, but this in no way undermines the two seasons which preceded it. For reasons which entirely escape me, people just didn't take to the dream team that was Capaldi, Coleman and Moffat. Oddly enough, I think this episode worked because it bore little resemblance to Chibnall's prior Who output. It's hardly news that Chibnall's contributions to the series pre-tonight's episode have been disappointing, so if anything was a breath of fresh air, it was Chibnall's writing. It hardly whiffed at all. If fact, despite knowing he'd written it, I still found myself checking the end credits to make sure.

My worst fears were that the show would feel like Class: a spin-off with tenuous links to the show proper. And it kind of did. But, instead of being Class, it felt more like Torchwood. You know, decent Torchwood, not season four what-the-fuck-did-they-do-to-Torchwood, Torchwood? Which should come as no surprise, as Chibnall wrote for that show too. That said, it was still a bold decision to change just about every aspect of the show. Not only did they give us a new Doctor with a new gender, we also got three new companions, a new team of writers, a new special effects ensemble, a new composer, ten episodes instead of thirteen, fifty minutes instead of forty five... it's almost as if Chibnall went out of his way to make the show as un-Doctor Who-ish as possible.

Yet despite stripping away many of its traditional trappings, I liked it. Sure, there were a few dodgy lines here and there, but even the stinkers from the trailer ('I'm the Doctor. When people need help, I never refuse'), once put in their rightful context, weren't half as cringeworthy as they felt back in September. Hopefully 'Would you be my new friends?' will have a similarly mitigating context. I'm also confident that once the titles and TARDIS are back, and we're off-world again, it'll be pretty much business as usual. There were probably enough residual elements—the Doctor's post-regeneration confusion, rebuilding a sonic screwdriver from scratch, the odd burst of the Doctor Who theme music—to remind us that we're still watching the same show, but on the whole I think the changes have detracted rather than added to the experience.

Of course, Jodie was predictably excellent. I've never had an issue with Whittaker's casting; the only issue I've ever had with them casting a woman, is that they should have done it a decade ago. When you wait until people are clamouring for change, you've procrastinated too long. So although I'm glad to see Jodie at the helm, I wish they'd been more proactive in shaking things up. A couple of reviews I read earlier in the week said that Jodie was a little too child-like for their tastes. I really didn't see any of that tonight. I think that Chibnall writes women well, and I liked that they didn't make an issue out of the gender swap. In fact, according the Chibbers, such was the secrecy surrounding Jodie's casting, that many of the episodes were written for a male Doctor. Whether this becomes more noticeable in the non-Chibnall penned episodes, we'll have to wait and see, but so far the signs are good.

Companions wise, I liked Yaz and Ryan. Ryan was served well by the script, came across as likeable if a tad troubled, and I was pleased that they didn't have him riding his bike by the end of the episode. Shows have a tendency to treat disability as either a gimmick or something to be fixed, so it'll be interesting to see what kind of utility his dyspraxia has beyond the opening episode. Yaz is still a little underdeveloped, but I read somewhere that they'll be focusing of different companions in different episodes, so there's probably plenty of backstory to come for her too. I also love the idea of everyone already knowing each other, thus eradicating the need to spend precious time developing their relationship. I was less enamoured with Graham. Bradley Walsh coped well with some of the funnier lines, and did okay with the funeral scene, but seemed a little wooden elsewhere.

Grace's death was predictable—there were only three advertised companions, after all—although it's plausible that she could have somehow avoided their impromptu trip into space. I found her death affecting though, which is good going for a one-episode wonder. In fact, if I had to pick a single strength of tonight's episode, it's that it was primarily character driven. Of course, the payoff was that the plot suffered. There was nothing particularly complex about the story, particular after living through six seasons of Moffat's narrative what-the-fuckery. The Doctor removing the DNA bombs off-screen felt a little naughty, but apart from that, it was pretty much Who-by-numbers. Which is fine for an opening episode with lots to do, but might turn out to be a problem as the season progresses.

Other Thoughts:

—The blast of music when Jodie first appeared was brilliant; in fact, a lot of the music was effectively done. None of that Murray Gold over the top nonsense this season.

—Ryan's youtube video had 19 views and two dislikes. The internet really is an unforgiving place.

—I'm glad that Yaz took the piss out of the Doctor's choice of new clothes. Truth be told, they're a bit shit.

—Yeah, Rahul, I know that chains are heavy, but when confronted by a killer alien, it's fine to push your way through.

—I loved the crane to crane jump, but was less happy with the characterisation of Karl. He felt like someone from a different show. He was like the comic relief which never quite paid off.

Quotes:

Doctor: 'Why are you calling me madam?'
Yaz: 'Because you're a woman.'
Doctor: 'Am I! Does it suit me?'

Doctor: 'Right then, troops. No, not troops. Team. Gang. Fam? I'm distracting myself.'

Doctor: 'That nap did me the world of good. Very comfy sofa.'

24 comments:

Chronotis said...

You were a lot more polite about it than I feel. Jodie was fine, but God was the plot dire. To open up the season with one of the most well trodden tropes in scifi was just lazy. I think I agree with the Torchwood analogy, but I hated Torchwood, so our respective conclusions may differ. As a fan of the show I'm in for the long haul, but this is fucking with my anxiety levels something rotten.

Anonymous said...

This was nowhere near as bad as I was fearing, but nowhere near as good as I was hoping #feelsbadman

Mary Baker said...

I don't understand the negativity towards this episode. I loved it!!! Doctor Who has become inaccessible to the regular viewer these past few years, so the simpler plotting doesn't worry me. The only thing I don't like about the new season is that there are only ten episodes to enjoy. Chibnal should he pushed for a full 22 episode season.

Chronotis said...

We don't have 22 episodes season in the UK. Ten is almost unheard of. Just enjoy what the BBC give you. If you can.

iloveeve said...

I'm not sure dropping the theme music and opening credits was a good idea either. I did enjoy the episode but it felt really weird watching. I don't understand Chibnall's obsession with excising all things familiar. If Daleks are going to turn off new viewers, then how is a monster with human teeth for a face going to draw them in? I'd like to think that there was some sort of rational behind it all, but nothing springs to mind. If they alienate as many old viewers as they bring in new, then what was the point? And the overnights don't seem to have been all that high, which after the usual attrition, will likely dwindle to more or less what they were before. Looking forward to seeing more of Josie though. I just hope the scripts are strong enough to service her talents.

Anonymous said...

What were the overnights?

Paul Reed said...

8.2 million. That's without the adjustments which will come later in the week.

Chronotis said...

@iloveeve I think you mean Jodie :-)

Irate of Hampstead said...

I have to disagree with season ten being Moffat's weakest. It felt more like the show finally finding its feet after five seasons of over-extended stories, mysteries with unsatisfying resolutions and Moffat using the TARDIS's time-travel capabilities to unrealistic lengths. If the Davies era taught us anything it's that simple stories work and are emotionally gratifying. Ending an episode with no clue what's going on, and stretching that confusion on over several seasons, is not a satisfying way to run a show. That's why the viewing figures dropped after Moffat took over. The figures don't lie, guys.

Paul Reed said...

I'm not sure what you mean by 'viewing figures don't lie.' Are you saying that they're an accurate metric by which to determine the quality of an episode? If so, what do you think of 'Voyage of the Damned'? Is it the best modern Who that ever was? Was the death of Astrid 'emotionally gratifying'?

Also, the viewing figures (excluding the Christmas specials) were pretty much steady at 7 million plus until Capaldi's final season, when they dropped by 1.5 million. The only thing you can really say about that is people didn't take to Capaldi, or maybe didn't take to Bill. And since season ten was, storywise at least, as simple as they come, doesn't that defeat your point that simple is best?

Chronotis said...

@Irate of Hampstead So farting aliens, bitchy trampolines, Peter Kay dressed in his underpants, and the Doctor as a muppet were all satisfying, gratifying stories to you? I also take umbrage at the idea of Moffat stretching out confusing storylines: it's called storytelling. Just because an episode doesn't answer every question immediately doesn't mean it's confusing, it means it's multi-layered and that the writer has faith that his viewers are capable of piecing together more challenging content.

Irate of Hampstead said...

It's telling that you picked out the worst of the Davies era to make your point. Can you honestly say, when comparing like for like, that Listen was a better episode than Doomsday?

Paul Reed said...

I can honestly say that 'The Return of Doctor Mysterio' was a better episode than 'Doomsday'. 'Doomsday' was 35 minutes of nonsense, 5 minutes of decent character stuff, and a closing that was the biggest pile of tosh known to man. At least 'Mysterio' had the good grace to be consistently bland.

Ryan said...

The overnights were just 8.2 million? Fuuuck! I was expecting double that at least.

Anonymous said...

I did like Ryan, but him pressing a big alien button for seemingly no reason, did puncture his believability. I'm also getting a bit sick of the Doctor forgetting who she/he is until it's time to say "I am the Doctor" to the enemy.

Xurios said...

Whittaker's Doctor feels like a cross between Ten and Eleven to me. She has Ten's zany humour and Eleven's quirkiness. Not a bad combo.

Chronotis said...

@Ryan Double seems like the minimum they should have been expecting. They set this episode up as being a pivotal moment in the show's history, yet the promotion leading up to it was minimal and largely unimpressive, and the story itself was unremarkable. The reviewer's right that the promotions team should be shot. Assuming they even had one.

Paul Reed said...

I didn't say they should be shot, I said they should be dragged naked through the streets of Sheffield. My way's far more aesthetically pleasing ;)

Deggy said...

Showed promise but completely unlike the show of the past 13 years. If they'd stuck to the regular formula, then fine, but if you're going to change everything about the show, then why not just make another show and call it something else?

Chronotis said...

You do have to wonder whether Chibnall even wanted this job. According to Moffat he had to be talked into taking the job, and it's almost as if the only way he could do it is to change the show into something he did want to do.

M Akabusi said...

Akinola's score was sublime. He actually knows when to be gentle and when to build tension. The whole episode also looked beautiful. I many not agree with all of the changes, but introducing new blood into the audio/visual departments was a good move.

IPA said...

No more bang crash wallop from Murray Gold. Yay!!!! \m/ \m/

Klaus said...

If this was season eleven's "Rose," and there's a still a "Dalek" to come, then all is well. If this is as good as it gets, then the show's in trouble. There wasn't really enough of the familiar there to even call the show Doctor Who. Hopefully this will be something the new showrunner fixes in his second season. Jodie was good. I will say that. But it's never been about how good the actors are, it's about how good the writers are, and it's still too early to tell.

Anonymous said...

Too early to tell? We have seven examples of his Doctor Who scripts now, all sub-standard. How many mediocre episodes does it take before we're allowed to pass judgement?